Bring your passion for art to young Hoosiers.
Are you a passionate artist who is interested in sharing your work with children? Can you see yourself discovering new information alongside curious young people? Are you a creative thinker who is open to trying new approaches with your art?
Arts for Learning hires teaching artists as independent contractors on an annual basis to work on our behalf with students in schools, community centers, and afterschool and summer programs. These teaching artists engage children in their specialized art form and demonstrate how that art form can connect to young lives in real and tangible ways.
We seek artists with the following qualifications to join our roster of outstanding teaching artists:
- A readiness and willingness to share your passion for the arts with children.
- Our organization’s mission is to empower children to achieve their creative and intellectual potential through arts in education. Our programs break from the mold of traditional lecture-style teaching by providing hands-on and child-focused learning activities; this approach enhances student learning and motivation by illuminating new and relevant information in other areas of the curriculum.
- Working as a teaching artist will require focus on the children’s needs and bringing them the best learning experience possible.
- This position is part-time and is scheduled on an as-needed basis.
- Our teaching artists are generally available during the day and have flexible hours, for work in schools and community sites as needed.
- Most of our teaching artists find that this work is complementary to a professional career, giving them freedom to work in the studio, practice their art form, etc.
- Some teaching artists coordinate their programs around other major commitments (i.e. other full or part-time jobs).
- Experience within your area of artistic expertise and demonstrated examples of successful work, including performances, exhibits, public presentations, advanced training, etc.
- Must be a practicing professional in your area of expertise and have a passion for sharing that art form with others.
- Our teaching artists specialize in a range of art forms, including music, dance, theater, visual arts, storytelling, and creative writing.
- We value traditional art forms, but are also looking for new and cutting-edge art forms, such as video game art and web design, electronic music and sound art, hip hop dance and beat boxing, architectural design, and culinary art.
- Must be open to learning new things and working with a team of fellow teaching artists and program staff.
- Must participate in an annual criminal history background check process.