Do you believe in empowering children through arts in education? Are you organized, highly motivated, and passionate about the role of the arts in a well-rounded education? If so, Arts for Learning may be the right fit for you.
Artist to Create Public Art in Starke County
Arts for Learning (AfL) is seeking an artist or artist collective to work as an independent contractor/s to create a new and original public artwork of which the design and inspiration must come from youth-led activities and the community.
Project Overview: AfL’s Fresh StART program engages students in a school-based effort to improve their community through art. In a series of workshops, students and their families are encouraged through various art forms to share their thoughts about a particular topic, centered around their community. The students’ artworks will serve as the inspiration for the final work produced by a professional artist.
- Enter into a contractual agreement with AfL and agree to a background check
- Ability to travel to locations in Starke County, IN
- Responsive to communications with the project team
- Document the progress of the work on social media to keep the students informed
- Submit brief journal entries to AfL via email
- Present 2-3 design ideas for voting at a community event, clearly representing student voice
- Participation in program assessments
- Availability participate in a public reveal event, estimated for May 2019
January 2019 – Opportunities to observe AfL artists’ workshops
February 2019 – Discussions with students
February-April 2019 – Planning and building of artwork, creation & public presentation of 2-3 samples for voting
May 2019 – Completion of project and culminating event/project reveal
All-inclusive fee of $3900 for the artist’s time, materials, production, cost of installation, travel and transportation, and other related expenses. 2/3 of the amount will be paid at the start of the project; final payment will be released upon completion.
To apply for consideration:
Email a cover letter and resume detailing exhibition or installation experience as well as any art education experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include photos or websites of portfolio examples. Please include the name “Fresh StART” in your application. A summary of similar projects is available upon request.
Preference is given to artists in or near Starke County.
Applications accepted through: January 10, 2019